Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kasia skirt number two…


I should really make use of the iron more before I take photos! And I know we all say this, but it honestly looks much better on. I’m just camera shy.

This is the Burdastyle Kasia skirt I started an age ago, made from some of the fabric from these curtains I found in a charity shop for £6. I made Burdastyle’s Coffee Date Dress from the same fabric ages ago and decided to try and use it all up. That £6 is stretching far and I’ve got loads of the fabric left. Matching hat? Scarf? Coat? :) Maybe not, the look might be not so much Scarlett as the Von Trapp family.


This is my second Kasia, but I don’t think I’ll make any more. I just about managed the waistband first time round (but I was so involved in getting it right, it didn’t actually fit and was too big), but this time I lost my mojo and botched it together (but it fits). It’s an arse. Consider that a warning chaps! It’s probably easier to just do it the way you think it ought to go together. You’ll probably be right, it’s just the instructions that are confusing.

More info and chattiness on my blog, Wipster.


Friday, November 5, 2010

Sewing For Baby

I finally got around to taking some pictures of some of my baby sewing.

I made onesies, using McCall's 6103, out of some old t-shirts and a baby blanket.

This was an old long sleeved T that Rick gave me a while ago. The patch on the arm is actually the tag from the inside of the shirt. I used leftover bits from another t-shirt for the binding.

I highly recommend buying elastics online. You can find a great selection of styles and colors, and it's much cheaper than buying it in a brick and mortar store.

This, and the next two tops, are just peasant style tops that I made using my own pattern. This blue and white fabric was a vintage thrift store find. The pants are made out of old T-shirt sleeves.

I tie-dyed this fabric myself.

This adorable zebra fabric was in a huge box that I got from a friend of a friend. Gotta love free fabric.

I used this tutorial for the kimono top. The pants are made from old sweater sleeves.

I used this tutorial for the little dress. The orange fabric came from an old maternity top, and the flower from a vintage sheet.

I made these leg warmers out of some clearance bin knee socks from Target.

I a car seat canopy using this tutorial. I bought this Alexander Henry fabric about 2 years ago. I bought a bunch because I loved it and it was on sale. I still have a ton left. The yellow fabric was in the same box of free fabric that the zebra fabric came from.

The diaper bag was made using Ikea fabric for the exterior, and an old sheet for the interior. The zipper is a vintage thrift store find. I used this tutorial.

Hope you like,


Monday, November 1, 2010

Elizabeth Bennet, Zombie Hunter

For Halloween this year I decided to be Elizabeth Bennet, as a Zombie Hunter form the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.  I made the dress out of an old bed sheet, and I really like the way it turned out!  I have more information on how the dress was made, and more pictures on my blog Farah Makes Stuff.

Thanks for looking!

Thrifty man’s shirt refashion with a mini tutorial

I made this cute shirt-for-that-meeting-with-HR-I-have-next-week…IMG_9916

…from this big old man’s shirt.


If you’d like to see how I did it pop by my blog, Wipster and say hello!