Thursday, April 15, 2010

An intro

Hi to all. I live in Fort Worth, TX, where it's currently bluebonnet season!

I am thrilled and scared both to be officially a part of The Thrifty Garde Robe. I don't do wholly refashioning and recycling, because my daughter's costuming and my costuming and my husband's costuming wants do not always line up with what's in my stash. That being said, I do raid the stash first before heading to both my local fabric stores and thrift stores.

I am very bad at documenting projects from beginning to end, and I do hope y'all will bear with me as I make a commitment to do that for some things.

I have been sewing since I was 6, embroidering for about as long. I never learned to knit or crochet, but one day I will.

Currently, I have several projects going on: I am making Victorian-era garb for steampunk purposes, mostly to wear at local sci-fi and anime conventions here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex (which we loving refer to as DFW, by the way), a martial arts commission for my neighbor (sort of a ghi thing, but not really), and Vocaloid costumes for my daughter and friends to wear to Project A-Kon, a huge anime convention here in DFW at the beginning of June.

Also, I teach piano and voice lessons, try to take care of a household, and homeschool my daughter.

My camera is being "fixed" right now, but when I get it back, I will post pictures of the 1950s housedress I made from a vintage pattern and vintage fabric for Viva Las Vegas, which just happened over Easter weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're here--those sound like cool projects that are ABSOLUTELY in the spirit of this blog (as I understand it). Looking forward to seeing more. (I never really learned to crochet, but that doesn't stop me, I do it anyway. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask "what is bluebonnet season?"

    ReplyDelete